On this episode of WNY Soundstage, Host Daniel Lendzian speaks with Kelly Copps, the artistic director of Second Generation Theater, the artistic director of Ujima Company, Sarah Norat Phillips, and Robert Brunschmid, Vice President of Operations, at Shea’s Performing Arts Center.
Second Generation Theater Company, Ujima Company, and Shea’s Center for the Performing Arts are producing a co-production of the Broadway Musical, The Color Purple, which will run at Shea’s 710 Theater from September 14 – October 1, 2023. This musical, based on the Pulitzer Prize winning Alice Walker Novel, is a testament to women, and a celebration of resilience, strength, and love in the face of adversity.
This episode includes:
- The genesis of the collaboration between the three Buffalo Based companies
- Why Western New York arts organizations are important
- Why a downtown theater district is important to Buffalo
- The missions of the Arts organizations
- The importance of The Color Purple
- How this production might differ from other productions, and other adaptations
- The hopes for audience engagement at The Color Purple
- The future plans for these arts organizations