Tis the season for a Christmas tree lighting ceremony… or two… or a bunch! These days, it seems as if every commercial district has a tree lighting, which is great. These are wonderful neighborhood occasions, and a time to come together as a community.
One tree lighting ceremony that everyone can get behind is the Downtown Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration at Rotary Rink at Fountain Plaza, presented by BankOnBuffalo. The event marks the opening of the free ice skating at Rotary Rink, presented by Ciminelli Real Estate Corporation.
- The event begins at 5pm with free ice-skating, on Saturday, December 3.
- At 6pm, Buffalo Place and BankOnBuffalo representatives, countdown the lighting of the official tree and fireworks display over Fountain Plaza.
- Immediately following the fireworks and tree lighting, the fun will continue with visits with Santa, holiday gifts, and ice-skating.
- Banner Farm of Perrysburg, will offer free horse and carriage rides around Fountain Plaza with their esteemed equine, Bonnie and Jake – registered seven-year old Clydesdales.
- Mini Ark Farm will be set up at Roosevelt Plaza with a variety of live animals.
- Downtown restaurant, The Lunch Box, will offer concession items in the event area.
- Santa will visit with children from 6:30pm to 8pm.
“We look forward to carrying on the tradition of free ice-skating in the heart of Downtown Buffalo and to working with BankOnBuffalo, Presenting Sponsor of the Tree Lighting,” said Michael T. Schmand, Executive Director of Buffalo Place, Inc. “In partnership with the City of Buffalo and Rotary Club of Buffalo, Buffalo Place has managed the operation of this outdoor ice-skating rink for 25 years. Renovations to Fountain Plaza provide residents and visitors with a charming outdoor winter activity to enjoy all season long.”
“We are thrilled to be the Presenting Sponsor for the Downtown Buffalo tree lighting celebration. BankOnBuffalo has planted roots in Downtown Buffalo with the opening of our first location at the Electric Tower five years ago, and we are here to stay,” said Michael Noah, President of BankOnBuffalo. “We’re thankful to the residents of Western New York for welcoming BankOnBuffalo with open arms, and we hope that the lighting of this tree helps to bring a little bit of joy to the community this holiday season.”
Complete details on the Downtown Christmas Tree Lighting Celebration are available online at www.buffaloplace.com.
Ice-skating is free and ice-skate rental is available; $2 for children and $3 for adults. Guests are encouraged to bring their own ice-skates and avoid waiting in the ice-skate rental line.
Distinguished guest speakers at the event will include Michael Noah, President of BankOnBuffalo, Paul Ciminelli, President & CEO of Ciminelli Real Estate Corporation, Sheila Rayam, Executive Editor of The Buffalo News, Byron W. Brown, Mayor of the City of Buffalo, and Vice Chairman of Buffalo Place Inc., Anthony J. Colucci III. The speakers will lead a countdown to the official lighting of the tree followed by fireworks display over Rotary Rink.
The Buffalo News is an Official Media Sponsor and Partner.