Built by one of the Gurney brothers in 1900, “The Gurney House” is a real stunner. Listed at $999,900, 312 Summer Street is a 7000 SF brick mansion has an interesting history, in that it is purportedly the inspiration for playwright AR Gurney, who was born and raised in Buffalo.
“The story goes that Buffalo born Pulitzer Prize nominated playwright AR Gurney got inspiration for a couple of his plays the (Cocktail Hour, Dining Room) by listening to the adults talk while he was here,” said the home’s current owner. “Before I purchased it, the previous owner had done a sensational job restoring the home, which was once broken up into five units. Aside from the 5000 SF owner’s unit, there are two very handsome rental units on the third floor – people can’t believe how nice they are for rentals. It definitely helps to have these units as supplemental rental incomes. One of the units was once the ballroom (or gameroom) for the mansion, with a beautiful fireplace. The other was a large servant’s quarters. So much of the original charm of this mansion has been preserved and/or restored. I feel that it’s a good deal at $157 a square foot.”
The Zillow listing boasts the following amenities:
- 5000 SF owners unit boasts 10 1/2 ft ceilings
- 7 fireplaces
- 4 bedrooms
- 3 1/2 bathrooms
- 2 home offices
- An exercise room surrounded by beautiful stained glass windows with sliding patio doors leading out to a second floor balcony
- Chef’s kitchen, outfitted with a 6 burner Wolf range, quartz countertops, built-in Sub-Zero refrigerator and direct access to the living room and large rear deck – perfect for entertaining
- Hardwood and tile floors throughout
- Beautiful wainscoting and wood moldings, many stained glass windows
- 2nd floor balcony overlooking a beautifully landscaped fully fenced back yard
The third floor of the house has two beautifully updated apartments, for supplemental income.
The location of the property is also ideal due to its close proximity to Allentown, The Elmwood Village, and the ever-impressive 5 Points neighborhood. There is an excellent walkability factor.