On Saturday, February 16, the entire community is invited to attend the annual Winter Blast at Martin Luther King Jr. Park. Not only has this park undergone impressive transformations over the last few years, including major investments into its ice skating facilities, there will also be an opportunity to step inside the MLK Jr. Park Casino, which I’m betting a lot of people have never even seen because it was essentially closed off to the general public for years. Throughout the day there will be plenty of indoor and outdoor activities, all presented by presented by BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York, the Olmsted Parks Buffalo, and Mayor Byron W. Brown.
The MLK Jr. Park Basin is a designated BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York Healthy Zone, and it serves as a old-fashion pond skating rink in the winter and splash pad in the summer.
All activities are free, and include:
- BlueCross BlueShield Healthy Zone Cruiser
- FREE Old-fashioned Pond Ice-skating (weather dependent)
- FREE Skate Rental (Figure and Hockey)
- Meet with Sabretooth and Buffalo Sabres Alumnus Morris Titanic
- Read and/or borrow books with Library on Wheels
- Meet animals from The Buffalo Zoo
- Face-painting with Squiggly Art Face Painting
- Balloon Art with Tim the Balloon Guy
- Hot Cocoa, courtesy of Wegmans
- Healthy Snacks, courtesy of Ashker’s Juice Bar – Bistro – Gallery, James Desiderio Inc., Lexington Co-op and Tops
Winter Blast 2019
MLK Jr. Park Casino and Basin
Saturday, February 16, 2019
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
The event is FREE and open to the public
MLK Jr. Park Casino and Basin, parking is available at West Parade Circle and Humboldt Parkway South, and North Parade Avenue and Northampton Street
Lead image courtesy Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy