Over the last couple of decades, a lot has changed when it comes to New York State boating rules and regulations. A lot of these laws are not readily apparent to people who are looking to get out on the water, whether it’s on motorboats or personal watercraft. That’s why the Buffalo Yacht Club is now offering NYS Safe Boating Class.
- Operators of a motorboat born on or after May 1, 1996 must complete a boater safety course or if the operator is under 18 years of age may be accompanied by someone over 18 years of age who can legally operate a motorboat.
- PWC operators must be at least 14 years of age and either hold a boating safety certificate or be accompanied by someone over 18 years of age who is the holder of a boating safety certificate.
“It’s not just a matter of being legal on the waterways but also being SAFE,” said Howard Hain of the Buffalo Yacht Club. “As the waterways of Buffalo become more popular they become more crowded. Whether this increased traffic is power boats, sailboats, kayaks, or even tiki boats knowing the rules of the road is of the utmost importance. Having this knowledge will save lives.”
The upcoming NYS Safe Boating Class is being taught by Instructor R.S. Pugh, Master Chief Petty Officer (USCG Ret.) who has had plenty of experience in the realm of teaching operations and seamanship.
“I spent 22 years in the Coast Guard, retired as a Master Chief Petty Officer,” said Pugh. “I was also the Officer in Charge of the Aids to Navigation Team in Buffalo about 10 years ago. 19 of my 22 years was operational, the last 3 was at CG Headquarters (where I wrote operations/seamanship policy). I am from Los Angeles and now live in Lancaster. I have driven Coast Guard cutters and boats ranging from 19 to 175 feet and have my 200 ton Near Coastal Captain’s License (it is currently a document of continuity). I have been a Naval Science teacher here at the school for just over a year and I am now teaching NS3, which covers Operations and Seamanship.”
The goals of the NYS Safe Boating course are to:
- Teach the basic boating skills necessary for safe and enjoyable boating
- Instill in each student a sense of responsibility when operating a boat
- Develop an understanding of the consequences of careless boating
- Encourage common sense and courtesy towards other waterway users
- Prompt students to invest the time and effort to learn more about boating
The NYS Safe Boating Course is set to be held on Saturday February 23, 2019, from 9am – 5pm. $25 fee. Optional buffet lunch (see inset flyer)
Buffalo Yacht Club | 1 Porter Avenue | Buffalo NY 14201
Registration: By email – No later than Wednesday February 13, 2019 | Pointabinostation@buffaloyachtclub.org | Or call Ruth Sparks at: 905-414-7430