Each year in January, the Botanical Gardens hosts a magical light show that is unlike anything else you have ever even imagined. As if the Botanical Gardens was not mesmerizing enough, the additional of fantastical lighting takes everything to an entirely different level. Throughout the course of Lumagination, which runs select evenings in January and February, each of the greenhouses in transformed into a unique dreamlike, cosmic setting befitting your wildest imagination.
Here are some of 2019’s illuminations that guests can look forward to in the various greenhouse installations:
- White origami cranes along the ceiling
- Illuminated sculptures
- Choreographed sound and light and swirling air that will send sheets of silk dancing in the wind
- The Aquatic Garden and Asian Rainforest will be flooded with unique light combinations, kites of all kinds and an amazing soundscape
- A cyclone of clutter will stir up a storm as an artistic interpretation of a tornado made from recycled water bottles will portray a visual light storm
- The desert room will be designed by a talented team of professors, undergraduate students and artists from The University at Buffalo School of Theatre and Dance
- Wind-blown trees made of neon wire and kinetic sculptures of all shapes and sizes
- An artistic interpretation of space
- Floating and illuminating bubbles will surround visitors
- Interactive optical rugs with a cloud theme and a special windblown pergola will float overhead
- A room full of twinkly lights transporting them to a mystical fairyland
The spellbinding event will get underway the Lumagination Launch Party* on January 25 from 6:30-9:00 pm, with “music, open bar of signature cocktails from Ketel One Vodka, wine, beer, glow surprises, an awesome raffle and some Nitro Magic!” Lumagination is a sensational setting for those who want to mix and mingle with others, while wandering through the illuminated dreamscape.
Again this year, the popular Happy Hours are back, held in the Administration Building next to the Botanical Gardens. Admission to Happy Hour is free and food and drinks will be available for purchase. Happy Hours are open to visitors before or after attending Lumagination.
*Launch Party tickets are $40 for Botanical Gardens’ Members, $45 for the general public and $50 after January 19. An exclusive VIP party will be held at the Launch Party, from 5:30-6:30pm, and will include; private access to the Launch Party, live music, signature swag, an open bar of signature cocktails from Ketel One Vodka, wine, beer and more! Tickets are limited and are $75 each.
Lumagination will take place January 26-27, January 30-February 2, February 6-10 and February 13-23. Show hours will be 6:00-9:00 pm and until 10:00 pm on Friday and Saturday nights.
Tickets are available online at www.buffalogardens.com or by phone, 716-827-1584 ext. 220.