Seneca One Tower is not the only downtown property going gray. Five E. Huron Street also got a darkening this week. The 4,500 sq.ft. building has been vacant since seafood restaurant Oshun closed its doors. It is owned by Iskalo Development Corp. and is located within the 500 Block Historic Preservation District.
Five East Huron was originally constructed in 1946 as a restaurant named the Waldorf Lunch, a popular lunch counter restaurant chain founded in 1904. The building was later occupied by the memorable Howard Shoes. Iskalo Development took ownership of the building in 2006 and undertook a restoration. The interior of the building, with its highly distinctive terrazzo floors and ornate aquatic-themed wall frescos, remains intact.