M&T Bank has just completed a $4 million renovation project at its Center for Learning and Development located on the first floor of the company’s M&T Center building at One Fountain Plaza. The renovations to the 10,000-square-foot facility are a part of M&T’s commitment to continue to grow in Buffalo, by doubling the bank’s learning environment, which will accommodate the growth in personnel.
“We are committed to the continued growth and development of our employees, so it is important to have a robust training center that is comfortable and inviting and also fosters curiosity and continuous learning,” said Janet Coletti, head of Human Resources at M&T Bank.
The renovated center features:
- Five lecture classrooms, three of which can be combined to accommodate up to 200 people, equipped with modern video conferencing capabilities and free-floating desks to facilitate hands-on group work
- Two computer labs, with 12 work stations each, were also added to the space
Not only will local employees and prospects be utilizing the new amenities, a multitude of employees from across the country will also be attending the facility for leadership programs, professional training, and departmental conferences.
Upwards of 1000 employees from across the company’s Northeast operations are expected to come to Buffalo to attend programs at the center each week, which is a 48 percent uptick from previous years.
In 2017, the company held more than 300 instructor-led courses in the previous five-room facility attended by more than 4,200 employee attendees, including a couple thousand out-of-town employees.
“We never miss an opportunity to show off the new Buffalo when our out-of-town colleagues come in for a visit,” said Lynne Kreiner, manager of Learning and Development Operations and Analytics at M&T Bank. “We encourage them to stay downtown, check out the restaurants and shops—we have a lot to offer.”
M&T offers the following training opportunities:
- 242 instructor-led in-person courses on subjects ranging from technology to customer service that employees can register to take at the facility
- 245 instructor-led webinar courses
- More than 1,200 self-paced, web-based courses
When M&T first opened the Center for Learning and Development in 1994, the bank employed 3200 professionals in Western New York. Today that number has jumped to 7000 regionally, with consolidation plans in the works.
M&T Bank, a company of 17,000 professionals, is headquartered in Buffalo.