It’s getting easier to own an electric vehicle (EV) in Buffalo thanks to a slew of new electric charging stations in Buffalo Civic Auto Ramps. Altogether, eight ramps have been outfitted with charging stations, which means that electric car drivers can park their cars while charging them. Combined, there are now 16 charging stations/32 ports (Level II EVSE – electric vehicle supply equipment ports) located at the following ramps – Main Place, Mohawk, Adam, One Seneca, Turner, Augspurger, Fernbach, and Gallagher. All of the charging stations are free of charge for EV owners.
Newly installed charging stations reinforce City’s efforts to promote renewable energy, sustainability, and climate smart initiatives.
These latest green features in the city were made possible thanks to Governor Andrew Cuomo, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Rebate program and the City of Buffalo, with support from the New York Power Authority.
Level II stations will restore an average EV to a full state of charge in 3-6 hours.
“With increased use of electric vehicles across the City of Buffalo, we must continue to develop infrastructure to charge plug-in electric vehicles and invest in new technologies to help further reduce carbon emissions and support a healthier environment,” stated Mayor Brown, who feels that the installation of the stations align with the City of Buffalo’s Energy Plan, as well as Mayor Brown’s Climate pledge. “By helping to develop the infrastructure necessary for electric vehicles, we continue to implement climate smart initiatives to build a stronger future for our City, region, state and world. We thank Governor Cuomo, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Rebate, and the New York Power Authority for their support, partnership and assistance on this important initiative.”
The new EV charging stations are part of Governor Cuomo’s Charge NY initiative.
The installation of stations began last spring, thanks to:
- Project funds leveraged from Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation’s Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Rebate program
- The grant rebate covered 80 percent of the cost and the City’s Parking Enterprise Fund handled the remaining 20 percent of the $195,200 project cost
- The New York Power Authority helped procure low cost electric vehicle supply equipment through BTC Power and an EV support/software package through EV Connect
Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos said, “Emissions from the transportation sector are the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions in New York State. Protecting our communities from climate change requires bold action and these new chargers, made possible with Governor Cuomo’s leadership, will increase our capacity to put more electric vehicles on our roads while reducing harmful transportation emissions. Expanding EV infrastructure in Buffalo will also make green commutes easier for everyone living in Western New York.”
Since the charging stations came online in early March of 2018, they have received regular use and have already prevented 9,787 kilograms of greenhouse gases, and saved 1,100 gallons of gasoline.
“Electric cars come with significant benefits beyond being green. They save money, boast higher reliability and safety ratings, and have advanced in-car technology and better acceleration,” said NYPA President and CEO Gil C. Quiniones. “The key to further EV acceptance is making it as easy as possible for drivers to travel throughout New York and that means being able to recharge at convenient locations when away from home. Kudos to Buffalo for making it easy for more residents and visitors to charge in town.”
“This is obviously the wave of the future. It’s environmentally friendly,” stated City of Buffalo Parking Commissioner Kevin Helfer. “Anything we can do to reduce the carbon footprint is good for the city. The more locations that have charging stations, the more likely it is that electric cars will be in demand.”
Chargers are now available in the following ramps:
- Gallagher, 499 Elmwood Avenue (2 ports)
- One Seneca, 1 HSBC Center (2 ports)
- Turner, 1 Perkins Drive (4 ports)
- Fernbach, 200 Pearl Street (4 ports)
- Mohawk, 477 Washington Street (4 ports)
- Main Place Mall, 233 Pearl Street (4 ports)
- Adam, 343 Washington Street (6 ports)
- Augspurger, 362 Pearl Street (6 ports)
For more information about EVolve NY, NYPA’s statewide program to accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles and expand infrastructure, please visit nypa.gov/innovation/programs/evolveny. To learn more about the specific ramp charger policies, please visit BCAR’s website bcarparking.com.
Lead image: Mayor Brown gets a demonstration, standing with Kathy Hochul (Lieutenant Governor of New York)