Share, , , Google Plus, Reddit, Pinterest, StumbleUpon

Print

Posted in:

Signs of Life @ Priam Parking Garage

It was back in June of 2016 that the parking ramp at 93 Pearl Street was sold (see here). Over the years, a number of Buffalo Rising articles have pointed out the ragtag condition of the ramp, which has been an eyesore in downtown Buffalo for years. Since the building sold, some work has gone into painting the structure, which has certainly helped to improve the aesthetic state of affairs for the formerly forlorn parking ramp. Not only has the building been painted, a new “Downtown Garage Parking” sign has been erected on the Pearl Street facade. The sign was constructed by the crew at Santoro Signs – a sign company that has been around since the ’50’s (learn more).

Although we are certainly not talking about a significant historic building in Downtown Buffalo, these improvements go a long way towards cleaning up the appearance of the parking structure. In the past, writers at Buffalo Rising have repeatedly commented that this particular building dragging the street down, due to its appearance. While this is still certainly not the Taj Mahal, the blade sign does harken back to its post-1925 appearance, as we can see in this image by PreservationReady.com (inset).

Here’s the history of the site per PreservationReady:

  • 1846 – Cicero Jabez Hamlin located in Buffalo, where he engaged in various dry goods businesses until 1871.
  • Six-story commercial building on site had a sign for Hamlin’s Department Store. This location is also directly behind the Hamlin Block, which housed Barnes, Hengerer, and Sweeney Companies over the years.
  • 1925 – 4 story parking ramp replaced the 6 story building

We’re not trying to bring anyone down, but we figured that we would provide an image of what this corner formerly beheld:

And here’s what eventually befell the corner.

At least we’re finally moving forward, and not backwards when it comes to the parking structure thanks to the work that has been performed on the facade, along with the sharp new illuminated blade sign that has been installed.

Written by queenseyes

queenseyes

Newell Nussbaumer is 'queenseyes' - Eyes of the Queen City and Founder of Buffalo Rising. Co-founder Elmwood Avenue Festival of the Arts. Co-founder Powder Keg Festival that built the world's largest ice maze (Guinness Book of World Records). Instigator behind Emerald Beach at the Erie Basin Marina. Co-created Flurrious! winter festival. Co-creator of Rusty Chain Beer. Instigator behind Saturday Artisan Market (SAM) at Canalside, Buffalo Porchfest, and Paint vs. Paint. Founder of The Peddler retro and vintage market on Elmwood. Instigator behind Liberty Hound @ Canalside. Throws The Witches Ball at Statler City, the Hertel Alley Street Art Festival, and The Flutterby Festival.

Contact Newell Nussbaumer | Newell@BuffaloRising.com

View All Articles by queenseyes
Hide Comments
Show Comments