On May 19-21, Ballin for a Cause will be heading down to RiverWorks. Organizers of the 5on5 National Tournament that was founded in Buffalo believe that they have found the perfect venue partner to move the tournament in the right direction. Incredibly, the charity basketball event is not only growing in Buffalo, it’s also hitting its strides by touring Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit, Erie, NYC, and Pittsburgh.
Community supported games featuring over 800 players and thousands of fans from around the world.
At a recent press conference, Ballin for a Cause Executive Director, Lindsey Taylor spoke about the growth of the basketball tournament league, which includes new programming in the form of a Gentleman’s Club and Global Ambassador Program. Taylor also noted that BFAC will be partnering with Medaille College (a diamond presenting sponsor) for an exclusive “Big 4” Initiative (Education, Sports, Community, and Health and Wellness), which includes scholarship funding for students. In return, Medaille will initiate a new seven-week program (Gentleman’s Institute Program) that will teach learning life skills to students, grades 9-12. The teachings will concentrate on career development – from financial literacy to learning to tie a tie.
During a live press conference, Mayor Byron Brown presented the organization with a proclamation declaring the annual event the official ‘Ballin for a Cause Weekend.’
“Medaille is proud to partner with BFAC and to be part of all the fine work they do in the community,” said John Crawford, vice president for College Relations, Medaille College. “It will be a great tournament and we know that the Gentleman’s Institute will enhance the lives of all the participants and help prepare them for fulfilling, productive roles in our community.”
Taylor announced that 2017 will bring about new programming initiatives, including:
- Education: In addition to the Gentleman’s Institute Program, BFAC will host its fifth annual “It’s More Than a Game” speaker series to talk to students about the importance of higher education, having good character and how to be a leader in the community from young professional athletes that they know and admire. The series will be hosted at local high schools in Western New York this spring.
- Community: To help promote diversity awareness, BFAC will partner with The Belle Center, a local community services organization, to offer the Global Ambassadors Program, an international PenPal and Student Exchange program for high school students. More details will be announced in April.
- Youth Sports: BFAC is introducing a youth baseball league, Crown baseball, for boys and girls, ages 5 through 12, in partnership with Mount Olive Baptist Church in Buffalo. Crown Baseball camps and practices will begin in May and will be the only community baseball league serving youth on the east side of Buffalo.
- Health and Wellness: In partnership with fitness trainer Gene Coplin of G Cope Fitness, BFAC will host the first annual BFAC 3K Run and Family Walk around the Old First Ward on Saturday, May 20 at 9:00 a.m. Immediately following the run, a post-race party takes place inside RiverWorks with an awards ceremony, door prizes, raffles, auctions, music, food and beverages. Registration is now open and starts at $10 for youth and $15 for adults.
“We are proud of our history with giving back and working with our local community and truly excited about new programs that will launch in 2017,” said Lindsey Taylor, founder and CEO, Ballin for a Cause. “Medaille College will be a great partner to have and adds much value to our programs and impact on young people’s lives.”
Official sponsors and community partners of the Ballin for a Cause 10th Annual National Basketball Tournament & World Games include:
- Official Youth Division and Collegiate sponsor: Medaille College
- Gold Sponsors: Councilman Richard Fontana, Community of Giving Legacies Initiative and the Community Foundation of Greater Buffalo
- Emerging Philanthropists of Color
- Silver Sponsor: Councilman Joel P Feroleto
- Bronze Sponsor: Councilman David Rivera, Councilman Ulyesses Wingo, Councilman Chris Scanlon
- Official Radio Broadcast Partner: 91.3 FM WBNY
- Media Outlet Providers: Onpoint Basketball, Radyo Filipino Network
- Official Game Ball Sponsor: Molten Basketball
- Official World Games Uniform provider: RG Sportswear
- Community Partners: Crown Entertainment, GOALS Premier Cup, Beau Fleuve Music & Arts Festival, Junior NBA, Visit Buffalo Niagara, The Belle Center, Buffalo United Front Fathers, Buffalo Peacemakers, Urban Equity Management, Guaggi.
Ballin for a Cause
May 19-21, 2017
Buffalo Riverworks | 359 Ganson Street | Buffalo, NY 14203
Follow Ballin for a Cause on Facebook