Hey everyone, I’m doing this one from my phone today, not sure how it’s going to look, but here goes.
- Early in the game, big Z lays a huge hit on the guy to free the puck, but Jake McCabe reacts too slowly to keep the puck in the zone and misses his man. On the ensuing 2 on 1, Lehner came out too high expecting shot while totally bailing on the pass. Surprise surprise, the guy makes the pass and Lehner is hung out to dry, completely out of position. I’m not saying Nilsson makes the save, but I wager Nilsson would have stayed in the net and at least been in a position to get his body in the way. 1-0 Jets.
- Great, another penalty for Franson, seems like he has been getting at least one holding penalty a game recently.
- At the end of the first the Sabres tie her up. On a nice cross ice feed from Samson Reinhart, O’Reilly showed great patience and got the goalie to move before slinging it five hole for the score. 1-1 going into intermission.
- Another penalty on Franson leads to a power play goal for the Jets and who else but Drew Stafford. I bet that felt good for him. How long are we going to tolerate Franson’s mediocrity? He should be traded if they can get anything for him. He’s just a liability right now.
- Too many penalties!! Falk for holding, albeit a very weak call. There’s the home barn call for the visiting team in our barn for the day.
- Oh geez, what a crap goal. Another Winnipeg guy with Sabres ties, Joel Armia scores on a weak rebound. 3-1 Jets. This is getting ugly.
- How is that not a hold or a hook on Bailey as he tries to break into the zone from center ice? The guy totally grabbed him from behind. Garbage.
- With 6:18 left in the second, what a save by Hellebuyck! How did he keep that out? There was a slash there though and the Sabres go on the power play.
- Another penalty to the Jets, hooking, Sabres have a two man advantage for 8 seconds. Let’s get a shot on net.
- Great effort by Okposo to keep the puck in and O’Reilly picks it up and draws a penalty.
Dan Bylsma’s tirade on the timeout seemed to lift the team for the second half of the period but they couldn’t get a goal. Winnipeg’s goalie made a huge save to preserve their 2 goal lead.
- What a goal Foligno! Nice! 3-2 Jets
- Big Z!! Great work to find the loose puck in front of the net, spanks it in. Tie ballgame.
- WOW McCabe lowers the boom on Laine!! Huge hit, clean too. McCabe got mauled by Scheifle and he got a roughing penalty. Wow, this game has picked up.
- Gionta great goal! He skated in front of the net, and waited, and waited, and waited until the goalie went down and somehow found the net. What a play, 4-3 Sabres.
- Big Z has been skating really well the last few games. He’s turning it on and it’s great to see. Don’t forget he’s only 23.
- What a finish. As Razor said, the bear finally got out of his cage. Robin Lehner got his helmet ripped off by Byfuglien and they traded blows. Unfortunately the net and a linesman were in between them and prevented a fight, but Lehner definitely wanted to go. I’d love to have seen that fight.
Great win. It seems like we need 4 goals a night to win because we seem to always give up 3, but we held on after turning up the heat in the third. That’s a big turnaround after a flat first and second period. When this team plays with intensity and fire, they can beat anyone.