Hi there everyone. The Sabres take on the Bruins tonight and I will be providing live updates from the game here from the arena.
A couple things- I am American and just love hockey and the Sabres. If anyone has a better nickname for Jack Eichel, please feel free to drop it off in the comments. Apparently, some people don’t like my ‘Magic Hands’ nickname and I honestly cannot think of anything better for a nickname myself, so please, if you think you have a good one, leave it in the comments. Also, thank you to those of you who consistently read and comment. I appreciate the feedback.
Cody Franson is back in the lineup tonight after being scratched the last three games due to injury.
Dmitry Kulikov is out tonight with his lower back issue.
Tyler Ennis skated this morning in a red ‘no-contact’ jersey which is great news as he could be back relatively shortly.
Apparently, Bruins fans travel well, there are a ton of them here, all in the 100 level. I have a feeling a lot of Sabres fans made good money selling their tickets tonight.
- Less than two minutes in and a goal from Marcus Foligno who was in front of the net wide open. Jack hit him with a great pass from below the goal line. 1-0 Sabres.
- Penalty on Boston #25 Brandon Carlo, hooking at 4:13 of the first. Sabres #4 ranked power play, here we go. Kick ‘em when they’re down.
- Penalty on Cody Franson kills the man advantage for the Sabres.
- Penalty on Boston #6 Colin Miller, hooking. Fire up the power play again. Let’s get one this time.
- Penalty on William Carrier for an illegal check to the head. There was almost a fight after his hit on David Backes, which occurred by the boards in between the benches. It was snuffed out by the linesmen.
- Things are starting to get chippy here. Immediately after Carrier got out of the box, Adam McQuaid went after him and jumped him, but Carrier was ready. The linesmen were unfortunately in between them and it wasn’t a full-blown fight but Carrier got a few good right hands. McQuaid got 2, 5 and a 10 for instigating and the Sabres go back on the power play. Carrier also got 5 for fighting.
- Kyle Okposo BANGS IT! Power play goal! What a shot! He sniped it top left corner. The referees missed it and had to go to video replay to determine that it crossed the line, but it was clear initially from up here that it was in. The goal judge missed it too, the red light never went on.
Another strong first period for the Sabes. Up 2-0 after 20 minutes. Keep up the early pressure.
- Boston goal, Bergeron on a feed from Marchand. Where was the defense Larsson? He needs to take Bergeron’s stick out in that situation.
- Evander Kane is flying around the ice tonight and hitting everything he sees. He looks like he’s up for it tonight and wouldn’t mind another fight.
- Penalty to Boston, Dominic Moore, 2 minutes for slashing. Power play, GO!
- David Backes is out for the game with a possible concussion after Carrier’s hit.
- Brad Marchand, the rat, slashed Okposo’s stick out of his hand while the Sabres were on the power play right in front of the ref and the ref made no call. He is a disease, he’s like a hemorrhoid.
- Penalty to Boston, Kevan Miller, 2 for cross checking Big Z in the corner.
- We were lucky not to give up a second goal. Lehner was, once again, out of position and slow to react after a save leaving the net wide open. Fortunately, Risto was there and made the save while he was sitting on the ice with his stick. A penalty was called on the Sabres on the play. Gorges is in the box for 2 minutes for tripping.
- Well, that was bad. David Krejci scores for Boston on the power play to tie it up. Bylsma is challenging if there was goaltender interference. The refs ruled it a good goal even though the Boston player was in the crease and contacting Lehner when the puck went in.
- Great, another penalty to us. Moulson 2 for tripping. That’s a garbage call. Another home barn call for the other team in our barn.
- The refs have been terrible tonight. They’ve missed four calls. They didn’t see Okposo’s goal, they blew a whistle on a delayed penalty on us for no reason, they didn’t call a slash on Marchand for knocking Okposos stick out of his hands, and they blew the call on Moulson for a phantom trip.
- Kane was chirping Kevan Miller at the end of the period. Don’t be surprised if we see them come together later in the game.
- What was Lehner doing as Marchand skated in there? How much more out of position can you be? Lucky not to give up a goal.
- Penalty to Boston, Chara 2 minutes for cross checking.
- Penalty to us, Franson 2 minutes for tripping.
- Sabres give up a goal with less than 4 minutes remaining in the 3rd. 3-2 Boston. Ryan Spooner scores. Poor defensive zone play. No coverage of the guy’s stick in the slot. Brutal.
- Once again, fans in the 100 level leaving early to try to get out of the parking garage quicker. Down by one with 2 minutes left, time to leave.
- Now everyone can leave. With the net empty, the Sabres give the puck away at center ice and Ryan Spooner gets his second of the night. What a letdown. The strong first period was wasted and the game ends 4-2 Boston. Boston scores 4 unanswered goals for the win. Brutal. That’s a terrible loss for a team in a ‘must win’ situation. The Sabres started off very strong, going up 2-0 in the first, but took their foot off the pedal and let the Bruins back into the game. This is not going to sit well in the locker room.
That’s it from KeyBank center for tonight. Tough loss, and it’s going to be tough getting up for the players for the game tomorrow night. I hate losing to Boston. Goodnight.