Author: Megan DiGesare
I have traveled to Buffalo multiple times a year since I was born, to visit my father’s side of the family. The first baseball game I can remember going to was at Dunn Tire Park, now Coca-Cola Field, to watch the Bisons. It was always a fun place to visit and I looked forward to it every time we were told we were “going to see your grandparents.”
Fast forward 20 years and I “shuffled off to Buffalo” to live with my father after we found out he had liver cancer. Shortly after he passed, I decided staying in Buffalo was the right decision and I lived there for six years. During that time, I fell in love with everything the Queen City had to offer. Now I live in sunny Southern Florida, and the first thing I hear from people when I say I lived in Buffalo is “Oh you left because of the winters?” No, actually I left because I just needed something different, and Florida sounded like a good change of pace. Not for one second do I regret moving, but I miss Buffalo every day, and these are 10 reasons why:
- Home is where your heart is. I know someone famous once said this, but it is so incredibly true. When you leave family, a piece of you always stays with them. Buffalo is home to so many of my family members, which is why I will always return, and I’m sure why many others do as well.
- We are supposed to have FOUR seasons. In Florida we are lucky if we get two seasons, let alone four. I miss spring, fall, and yes, even winter. I loved the changing of the leaves, pumpkin picking, fishing in the wee hours of the morning when you had to wear layers of clothing, and making snowmen. I do not miss driving in it, but playing in it was always fun. Florida’s four seasons are Hot, Hotter, Hottest, and DEAD of Summer.
- They call them BUFFALO WINGS for a reason. You can try to replicate it, duplicate it, or alter it, but you will never make it like Buffalo does. The only place I enjoy and will actually want to order wings, is Buffalo. I don’t care where you go while you’re there, but don’t try to tell me that you have better wings elsewhere. It’s just not true.
- Three Words…Beef on Weck. Why can’t someone learn how to make this down here? The combination of juicy beef, horseradish, and the saltiness of the rolls is just heavenly, and if you don’t know what I am talking about, or live there and haven’t tried one. DO IT NOW!
- Water sports or swimming free of fear. I miss kayaking, swimming, and jumping in the water without having to worry about sharks, alligators, or flesh eating bacteria. Buffalo is home to some of the best fresh water fishing in the country. I miss it.
- A drinking town with a sports problem. I miss not having to be at a bar by 11 for fear that it would close at 2am. I liked being able to go out after work to have fun with friends and not worry that I would get there at last call. I also miss cheering on the Buffalo Bills with like-minded people, but now I just piss off Dolphins fans at the local bars, and I guess that’s okay too!
- Volunteering for my Community. I miss being a volunteer. I feel like a part of me is missing now that I no longer do it. I loved being out in the community, meeting new people, making a difference, helping to save lives, and being a role model. I urge you to join your local fire department and help the community in which you live. It is gratifying and an amazing experience with a brotherhood that you will not find anywhere else. For more information about becoming a volunteer firefighter in Erie County, to find your local fire district or to look up recruitment events, visit ivolunteerfire.org or call the recruitment hotline at (716) 601-3021.
- Every brunette needs a blonde best friend. Blondes vs. Brunettes of WNY is also a large part of why I miss Buffalo. This organization of strong bad-ass women has done so much to raise money and awareness for the Alzheimer’s Association and I miss being a part of such a wonderful cause. Buffalo has a plethora of great charitable organizations to be a part of, but if you love football, are a female over the age of 21, and like to have a great time while supporting a meaningful cause, I recommend looking into this. You get to meet some of the most caring, intelligent, and tough chicks out there. For more information visit bvbbuffalo.com.
- WEGMANS. Trader Joe’s is great, and I am so very happy they opened them here in South Florida, but I miss Wegmans and the fact that they were open 24 hours a day. You never had to rush to the store after work to make it there by 11 or be forced to shop at 7/11.
- Buffalo really is the City of Good Neighbors. I miss neighbors who watched out for you, who knocked on your door if they heard a loud noise or something that concerned them. Neighbors who invited you over if they were having a party even if you didn’t know them.
Now you have read the reasons why I miss Buffalo. If you have moved away, why do you miss it? If you moved away tomorrow, what would you miss the most? Let me know in the comment section.