The new owners of 268 Main Street have changed the name of the building to The Sweeney Building. The building was purchased by the three owners of Crowley Webb, the marketing communications agency that occupies the fourth fifth floor of the building. After purchasing the property from Kissling Interests, Crowley Webb set about to pay tribute to the historic aspect of the building. At the turn of the century, the building was occupied by The Sweeney Company Department Store – thus the new name dedication.
The building is currently partially occupied. After the making the purchase, Crowley Webb partners stated their intentions to expand to the sixth floor. The third floor is leased by J. R. Militello Realty, Inc. and Keenan Law Firm. That leaves the first floor (7,566 square feet) and the second floor (9,300 square feet) for attractive lease opportunities. The renaming and rebranding of the building is a concerted marketing initiative designed to attract potential tenants.
“The building has quite a history, and we wanted to bring that to life,” said Jeff Pappalardo, senior vice president of Crowley Webb. “Some people know our building as the old Barnes and Hengerer Building, but after doing a little research into past tenants, The Sweeney Company Department Store really stood out to us the most.”
For more information about The Sweeney Building, visit sweeneybuilding.com.
The Sweeney Company Department Store, circa 1908 (photo credit: Buffalo History Museum)
New banners and branding installed on The Sweeney Building (photo credit: Nolan Whipple)
New window lettering added to The Sweeney Building (photo credit: Nolan Whipple)