Work is currently underway to recreate an inspiring and practical entranceway on the north side of the Richardson Towers (Richardson Olmsted Complex). The new contemporary North Entry will be translucent, so as not to obscure the architectural elements that have been preserved over the years – hidden away by a purely functional brick entranceway predecessor. That addition was created in 1918, and was not part of the original structure. This current design was dreamed up by members of the public who gave their input at public meetings. The vision led to what we see in the following video.
The North Entry was designed by Deborah Berke Partners and Flynn Battaglia Architects. The idea behind the North Entry is based on practicality. The parking lots are on the same side of the building. The new entry mimics the lines of the former entry wall which was recently demolished. The newly exposed Richardsonian Romanesque arches and Medina sandstone are now readily visible.
Lead image: Joe Cascio