Each year, the University Heights Arts Association (UHAA) hosts an ARTfest that allows the community to participate in free art programs. The festival is open to everyone, including artists, hobbyists and general art and music enthusiasts.
In 2016, there will be 20 different art projects available to take part in. All of the exercises ensure that everyone has a chance to get involved with something to their liking. The various projects are related to sculpture, painting, crafts, jewelry making, fabric banners, music, poetry, book-making, clay pots, and food art.
ARTfest is unique in that it brings art directly into the University Heights neighborhood. It makes are accessible and fun to you and old, and all ethnicities. At any given time, throughout the festival, there are myriad ways for people to spread their artistic wings and fly.
Highlights of the event include:
- Dynamic Drum Arts featuring Grace Rice Turner
- Lewis and Klark Jazz Guitar Duo
- Jon Lorentz music
- Poetry in the Garden led by Peter Siedlecki featuring members of Earth Daughters and of The Gray Hair Series
- Face Painting with Sarah
- Making Music with Everyday Objects featuring Colin Tucker
- Live Art with Wonder Ghost
- An open stage for emerging artists from local colleges
- Live street music from nearby Music City Buffalo
- An AccessorART Competition featuring masks
- Plants in Pots with the Samuel P. Capen Garden Walk
- My Own Buffalo Books
- Jewelry Making with Impact Artists Gallery Jewelers
- Collage Banners with fabric artist Celeste Zachritz
- Scribble People with Sylvia Kleindinst
- A Mini Cake Decorating Competition juried by Geoffrey Gatza,culinary expert and Blazevox Books Publisher
During the festival, be sure to keep a look out for:
ARTbooth program Saturday, August 13th from 11:00 a.m. Until 7:00 p.m at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 3107 Main Street in Buffalo and businesses along Main Street.
ARTcovz® art kits, a UHAA program which provide free pre-packaged art kits, will be offered from the first outdoor ARTcovz dispenser which will be unveiled during the festival.
The newly formed Healthy Living Farmer’s Market will also be on hand. Partners of the UHAA who participate in the ARTcovz® program will sponsor additional activities.
Those wishing to enter the Cake Decorating Competition are invited to bring a small, decorated cake to the festival. Jurying will take place at 5:00 p.m. Entrants can keep their own cakes after the festival. A second category of the competition offers cookies to decorate.
Stay tuned to all of these activities and more by clicking on this Facebook page.
For more about the University Heights Arts Association and it’s programs visit: www.uhartsgroup.com
Saturday, August 13, 2016
11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
3107 Main Street, Buffalo, NY
ARTfest is sponsored in part by Council Member Rasheed NC Wyattt and West-Herr of Toyota Williamsville.