Members of the Rust Belt Coalition of Young Preservationists (RBCYP) are getting ready for a Rust Belt takeover this weekend. RBCYP is an organization that brings together preservationists from all Rust Belt cities, so that they may meet each other and help each other. Through strength in numbers, young preservationists are able to explore cities that have many of the same issues as their own. In April, a #rustbelttakeover was held in Pittsburgh. This month it takes place in Buffalo, and in October it’s Cincinnati’s turn.
Buffalo Young Preservationists (BYP) is excited to host the second #rustbelttakeover this weekend here in Buffalo, NY. We hope you’ll join us!
Join us?! The weekend is FREE except the Richardson Tour ($15). Come for one, two or all of the events. Donations are welcome but not necessary.
Click here for all of the information. Following is the schedule for the weekend:
- 7pm – 8:30 – Agway Tour at 1100 Niagara St. (It will be dark – bring a flashlight!)
- 9pm – ? – Welcome Party at the POP IN at 218 Grant Street next to Sweetness_7. Pizza & Wings will be served!
- 9am – 10:45am – Silo City Tour by Chris Hawley & Dana Saylor. Park at the gate – 120 Childs Street.
- 11am – 2pm – Hydraulic Hearth for Food Trucks, Local Beer, Larkin Links Putt Putt and the FLW Admin Building. 716 Swan St.
- 3pm – 5pm Downtown tour of Buffalo’s most iconic buildings including the Guaranty by Sullivan. Meet at City Hall on Niagara Square.
- 5pm – 7:30pm – BREAK. Go check out Niagara Falls, see Canalside, central terminal, etc.
- 7:30pm – ? Resurgence Brewing Co. for Bernice & Nate’s birthday party and to hang / play games and drink local beer with loads of preservationists inside an old sawtooth factory building. 1250 Niagara Street.
- 9am – Noon – Breakfast on the lawn and a fantastic, once in a lifetime tour of the iconic Richardson Complex designed by H.H. Richardson. $15 day of – cash or check only
- Noon – 1:30pm – Walk around Delaware park – Olmsted’s masterpiece.
10 Quick Buffalo Tidbits:
- Buffalo loves breakfast – Public Espresso, Tipico Coffee, BreadHive and Five Points Bakery are all amazing.
- Our bars close at 4am. Yes – 4AM!
- If you decide to go out to 4am, you must go to the PINK on Allen after 2:30am.
- We invented the coffee break, electric chair, air conditioning, the windshield wiper and many other cool things we use everyday. For a full list, check this video out.
- Buffalo is America’s best designed city. Watch it for yourself here.
- BOD = Beer Oriented Development. Our breweries rule – Community Beer Works, Flying Bison, Big Ditch, Resurgence and many more are worth checking out.
- Buffalo has one of the largest collection of grain elevators.
- Check out Visit Buffalo Niagara for great Buffalo info.
- Favorite Instagram Accounts for Buffalo related things: Rise Collaborative & Yeah! Buffalo.
- This weekend only scratches the surface. Come back to explore the Darwin Martin House, Central Terminal, Elmwood Village, Allentown, Hertel and beyond. Get pierogi at R&L Lounge on the East Side and drink a beer at Mickey’s Library – the 2nd oldest Polish library in the county. We live in a museum, truly. We’re so spoiled!