One of Buffalo’s oldest parishes (1851), St. Michael’s at 651 Washington Street, has scheduled a gala benefit to raise restoration funds for the church’s beautiful stained glass windows on the evening of Saturday, July 30, from 6 to 10 pm.
An evening of delicious food and entertaining talent is planned, including a sit-down dinner at the dining pavilion across the street from the church (catered by Giancarlo’s). Following dinner, performances by some of Western New York’s acclaimed artists will be held at St. Michael’s church. Talent includes: Mary Louise Nanna (BPO, Viva Vivaldi), Josephine Hogan (ICTC), Elaine Knecht, Peter Van Dyke and others.
In 1962, a lightning strike fire destroyed most of the 1895 (Franz Mayer & Co. of Munich, Germany) windows. Shortly afterwards, new windows were commissioned by the same firm.
“We are so pleased to be a spiritual center of the new Downtown Buffalo,” says Rev. Benjamin Fiore, SJ, pastor. “We welcome all to this special event!” A silent auction and sponsorships are available.
$150 per person. For tickets call 716.854.6726.
St. Michael’s Milestones:
- 1st mass – Sunday 5/18/1851 (at St. Pierre, corner of Washington & Clinton [present site of Hotel Lafayette], placed under patronage of St. Michael the Archangel
- Aug. 20, 1851 – original church cornerstone laid at present site at 651 Washington Street
- Jan 1852 – church dedicated
- April, 20, 1864 – work began for present edifice, designed by NYC’s Patrick Keeley. Exerior features white and red Albion sandstone, Buffalo limestone, and Lockport silver limestone. Ceiling 45’ high, nearly 80’ wide
- July 31, 1864 (feast of St. Ignatius Loyola) – cornerstone laid
- June 16, 1867 – present church dedicated
- 1886 – church tower completed
- 1890 – clock installed in tower
- 1895 – stained glass windows installed (F.X. Zettler of Munich)