The former Dug’s Dive restaurant is on its way to becoming a nautical themed restaurant called Charlie’s Boat Yard. Work is currently underway to open the restaurant, which will service the general public and the 1055 slip Small Boat Harbor. The Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation (ECHDC) contracted with out of towners Safe Harbor to operate the marina. In turn, Safe Harbor sought out Chuck Goodspeed, owner of Brick Oven Bistro and Mess Hall to run the establishment.
The reopening of the restaurant as Charlie’s Boat Yard is part of an ongoing $10 million overhaul to the harbor. Once open, the Outer Harbor eatery will be a seasonal destination (to start) that will offer lunch, dinner and brunch, and will also deliver directly to the boat slips. The interior of the eatery has been remodeled, and the front deck has been expanded. An opening date has not been released, though slip holders are hoping to visit the establishment sooner rather than later (the restaurant is currently hiring staff).