In order to open people’s minds to the benefits of being healthy and fit (body and soul), the Buffalo Museum of Science (BMS) is hosting a new event called Family Fitfest. The premise behind the fitness festival is to rally some of the leaders in the Buffalo fitness industry together to showcase what healthy initiatives they are working on.
On Saturday, February 27, BMS invites you, your family, friends, and anyone else who might be interested in getting fit in 2016, to attend a festival that explores the wonders of living a healthier life. Designed as an Audience Engagement Event, Family Fitfest features a number of local athletic powerhouses/programming that include:
- West Side Rowing Club who will educate guests on their Learn to Row programs and measure energy output with an erg (modern indoor rower).
- The Buffalo Speed Skating Club will display their skating equipment and gear in addition to information on their all-ages programming.
- Allied Sportsmen Archery will be showing off archery gear and their Junior Olympic Archery Development Program.
- Impact Sports Performance, the elite sports performance training facility at HARBORCENTER, will get our blood pumping with fitness training activities.
- The Sabres Sled Hockey team will teach guests about Sled Hockey and its growing popularity in Western New York.
- Rollie Pollies will present age-appropriate motor skills development area, challenging children with exercises in balance, hand eye coordination, jumping and more.
- Guests will try their hand at Field Hockey with the WNY Whalers Field Hockey Team.
- Chiro First Wellness will offer spinal screenings and Chiropractor Chris Dressel will be reviewing nutrition.
- The UB Smile Team will speak about the importance of dental health.
- For guests that thought Quidditch was a game only played in the pages of their favorite book, the UB Dragons will be at the Museum and offering a chance to play the competition made famous by Harry Potter.
- A boot camp style skills course will also be available – competitors will squeeze by pillars, battle past hedgehogs, crawl through tunnels and past pop-ups and make their way through the bungee laser field, finally climbing a wall and sliding to victory.
- Visit with local sports mascot celebrity, Sabre Tooth.
- Tifft Nature Preserve will entertain guests with a snowshoe demonstration.
Sometimes, the best way to get fit is it join others who are looking to do the same thing. There’s something about a festival atmosphere that makes it fun to learn about all of the different ways that we can train our bodies and our minds to be as healthy as humanly possible. Yes, it might take some work, but there are some fun and interesting ways to get out and get your body moving!
Bring your sneakers and dress for a fun and informative workout, with some invaluable lessons and routines to glean along the way.
Buffalo Museum of Science presents Family Fitfest
Saturday, February 27, 2016 | 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. | See Facebook for details
The event is included with general museum admission and free for Buffalo Museum of Science members. Tickets are available at the door on the day of the event. Support for Family Fitfest is provided by HSBC Bank USA N.A. and Time Warner Cable.
Admission to the Buffalo Museum of Science is $11.00 for Adults ages 18-61, $9.00 for Seniors ages 62 or better, $9.00 for Military & Student, $8.00 for Children 2-17, free for Children Under 2 and free for Museum Members. The Buffalo Museum of Science is located at 1020 Humboldt Parkway, Buffalo, NY 14211 and for more information, call 716-896-5200 or visit www.sciencebuff.org.