The sport of cyclocross is heating up in Buffalo. Not only are there practices and races throughout the year, Buffalo has now landed the 2015 New York State Cyclocross Championship bicycle race.
That’s big news for this city’s cyclocross fans. The race is scheduled to be held at LaSalle Park on Halloween day – October 31, 2015. This is the first time that the race is coming to this region, partially prompted by the growing number of cyclocross racers in the area.
The surge in Buffalo cyclocross and other local races can be attributed to the efforts of those that include Campus Wheelworks’ cyclocross programming, the highly touted Larkinville Challenge criterium series, and the Two Days of Buffalo stage race that was held in August, attracting cyclists from the world over.
Now cyclocross fans will see LaSalle Park turned into a formidable racers’ paradise, filled with mud, rocks, and plenty of obstacles (sound like the perfect park for just such a race).
The 2015 New York State Cyclocross Championship features:
- 3 ability levels for men
- 2 ability levels for women
- Several age based champions for juniors and older racers as well
- Ability levels range from newbies to elite class
- Top young elites hoping to someday win a pro contract
- Spectator friendly style of bike race that is hugely popular in Europe
- Largest growth area in bike racing in the USA
- Races take place primarily in the fall after the road race season is finished
- Racers love crowds, entry is free for spectators, making for a family friendly event
This is an excellent opportunity for Buffalo to shine during this event, which will see racers coming from all across NYS to compete for top prizes.
The first race of the day starts at 11:00am, the Elite women race at 1:05pm and the Elite men’s race starts at 2:45pm
2015 New York State Cyclocross Championship | Saturday, October 31, 2015 | 11:00am – 4:00pm | Lasalle Park | 1 Porter Ave, Buffalo, New York