Empire State Development (ESD) is seeking abatement, demolition and site stabilization bids for the Episcopal Church Home property near the Peace Bridge. Proposals are due May 5. ESD purchased the Busti Avenue property in June 2013 for $4.73 million. The Hutchinson Chapel will remain.
According to the bid solicitation, work will consist of “stabilizing approximately 4.7 acres of blighted property and preparing it for an undetermined future use. The work includes but is not limited to site drainage repairs and improvements, removal of a 10,000-gallon underground storage tank (reportedly filled with concrete), utility terminations, asbestos abatement, hazardous material abatement and removal, demolition, substructure demolition and removal, backfilling, site grading, and constructing a landscaped berm.”
Five buildings would be demolished: Canterbury Building, Robinson Addition, Russell Building, Robinson Building, and Maintenance Building.
Also included is structural stabilization and weatherproofing of building exterior windows and abatement of asbestos and universal/hazardous materials, excluding abatement of asbestos from the building roofs and the exterior window caulk and glazing at Thornton Hall, Hutchinson Chapel, and the tunnel connecting the two structures. Weather tight protection is to be provided for openings to the Thornton Hall resulting from demolition of the adjoining Robinson Addition and Russell Building.
The State is also seeking pricing on the demolition of Thornton Hall and the adjoining tunnel, along with the weather tight stabilization of the Hutchinson Chapel’s northeast wall subsequent to the demolition of the adjoining tunnel.
The work will conclude with backfill and site restoration consisting of provision of proper site drainage to a finish condition, resetting of catch basins, protection of remaining utilities, backfilling to defined grades, providing final grading using gravel, constructing a landscaped berm, replacing sidewalk sections, and furnishing and installing new fencing.
The site will ultimately be turned over to the Public Bridge Authority. Unconfirmed plans are to move the Duty-Free Store to the Episcopal Home parcel, and restore the circa-1895 Hutchinson Chapel for use as a welcome center.