The Eckhardt Building located at 950 Broadway is for sale with a reduced price. McGuire Development Company is listing the property for $768,000. Previous listings had a $1 million+ asking price. Redevelopment of the Art Moderne beauty could become an anchor for further economic development in the neighborhood. Located at the northwest corner of Broadway and Fillmore, the three-story, 42,000 sq.ft. historic property is ripe for reuse.
Community group Broadway Fillmore Alive! has been on a quest to find a new owner or use for the property for some time. Surprisingly, the property has been owned by the same family since the 1880′s. The Eckhardt Building is the last remaining Art Moderne former department store in Buffalo. A slightly larger, almost mirror image building, the W.T. Grant Co. department store, once stood at the corners of Main, W. Huron and Pearl Streets. It was demolished in 1980 to make way for what is now the Bank of America Building.
The building was designed by local firm Bley & Lyman and completed in
1925 1940. It was originally an Eckardt’s Department Store and later a Kobackers and a Sears. It has been vacant since 2004 when the New York State Department of Labor and 78 Restoration Corporation, a neighborhood based education and job training program, closed their offices.
More history and information:
Get Connected: David Supon, McGuire Development, 716.829.1562
Entry image by McGuire Development. Interior photo by Forgotten Buffalo.