Another adaptive reuse project is in the works. James F. Jerge is planning to put 25 apartments into unused space at 506 Delaware Avenue. The 54,000 sq.ft. complex is located in the Allentown Historic Preservation District. The project will be reviewed by the Buffalo Preservation Board on Thursday.
The 7,000 sq.ft., Second Empire-style mansion at 506 Delaware was built in 1876 by Chillion Farrar who made his fortune in metal works such as boilers, castings and engines. The property was sold to the Kinghts of Columbus in 1916 and a 47,000 sq.ft. addition was added to the rear. The lower level of the property contains a pool, gymnasium and weight room and is still in use by the Knights of Columbus. A 35-vehicle parking lot is located on site.
Much of the complex was converted to office space in the mid-1980’s by then owner Joseph Deck. Jerge purchased the property in 2003 and rehabbed the original mansion including facade work that exposed the previously painted brickwork. The mansion still contains original woodwork in several rooms and a three-story staircase atrium. The rear addition is gutted and ready for reuse.
Architecture, engineering and interior design firm Carmina Wood Morris is preparing plans for the $6 million project. There will be six lofted apartments, one single-level unit, and 2,700 sq.ft. of commercial space on the first floor. The second floor will contain six lofted apartments, five single-level units and 2,500 sq.ft. of office space. Seven single-level apartments and 2,100 sq.ft. of office space will occupy the third level.
Minimal exterior work is planned besides new windows on the west façade. The project is utilizing state and federal historic preservation tax credits.
Jerge is also teaming with Mark Croce to convert the C.W. Miller Livery Stable at 73-77 W. Huron Street into a mix of retail, residential and possibly office space.