BORDER CROSSINGS BETWEEN WNY AND CANADA – The Council adopted a resolution, sponsored by North District Council Member Joseph Golombek, Jr., that urges opening a dialogue to discuss the merging of the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority and the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, with the goal of dispersing freight traffic away from densely populated urban areas. To deter competition between the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority and the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, the Council suggests that a compromise in revenue sharing be agreed upon as well. The Council’s efforts are aimed at moving all traffic across the border crossings more efficiently, while reducing health risks to residents in neighboring areas.
INVESTIGATING TRAFFIC CALMING MEASURES FOR STARIN AVE – The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by Delaware District Council Member Michael J. LoCurto, directing the Department of Public Works to investigate traffic calming and safety measures that can be applied to Starin Avenue to help improve traffic conditions.
HOME RULE MESSAGE – ACT TO AMEND VEHICLE AND TRAFFIC LAW –The Council adopted two resolutions, both sponsored by Ellicott District Council Member Darius G. Pridgen, supporting New York State Senate Bill #S.5623 and NYS Assembly Bill #A.7602, which would amend the Vehicle and Traffic Law to authorize a pilot residential parking permit system in the City of Buffalo.
SWIMMING IN UNAUTHORIZED AREAS- The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by Ellicott District Council Member Darius G. Pridgen, requesting that the City of Buffalo Office of Telecommunications remind the public of the dangers of swimming in unauthorized areas via public access as informational messages to be aired once every four hours on the public and government access channels. The resolution also requests that the information be placed on the City’s website.
BUFFALO PUBLIC SCHOOLS DESIGNATION – The Council adopted a resolution, sponsored by Majority Leader and Masten District Council Member Demone A. Smith, requesting that the New York State Department of Education initiate steps to make ranking schools a fair and level playing field for all, regardless of language barriers or disabilities. The resolution also states that the Department of Education should not rank schools that have a student population with at least 20 percent English language learners or 20 percent with disabilities as “failing schools” and that the Department should not include the New York State Math and English Language Assessment scores of English language learners who have not been enrolled in a United States school for a minimum of four years in a school’s combined average score. Further, the resolution states that the Department should eliminate the Math and English Language Assessment scores of the students with disabilities in the calculation of each school’s combined average score.
ORDINANCE AMENDMENT TO CHAPTER 175 – COLLECTION AND DISPOSAL CHARGES – The Council approved an ordinance amendment, sponsored by Council President and Lovejoy District Council Member Richard A. Fontana, amending Chapter 154 of the City Code allowing one free ton of garbage disposal at the City transfer station per year to any owner-occupied dwelling within the City of Buffalo.
LICENSE AND PERMIT APPROVALS–Upon the recommendation of the Department of Permit & Inspection Services, the Council approved the following license and permit applications:
• Delaware District
o Permit to Expand an Existing Restaurant in the Hertel Avenue Special Zoning District
• A. Carrubba, owner of the property located at 1669 Hertel Avenue.
o Permit to Alter Use to an Existing Bakery to Include Sit-Down Restaurant w/ Outdoor Café
• W. Egloff, owner of the property located at 1006 Elmwood Avenue
• Fillmore District
o Permit to Erect Ground Sign on Private Property
• D. Ehlenfield, agent of the property located at 556 Franklin Street.
o Permit to Erect Two Accessory Ground Signs on Private Property
• D. Ehlenfield, agent of the property located at 564 Franklin Street.
• Lovejoy District
o Restaurant Dance License
• Jazzy’s Bar & Restaurant located at 2227 Genesee Street.
• Niagara District
o Restricted Use Permit in the Elmwood Ave Special Zoning District-Alteration to an Existing Restaurant
• K. Fawcett, agent of the property located at 478 Elmwood Avenue aka 480 Elmwood Avenue.
• South District
o Permit to Place an Outdoor Patio in the City ROW in the Abbott Rd Special Zoning District
• R. Stoddard, agent of the property located at 245 Abbott Road.
PERMISSION TO HANG BANNERS & LIGHTS
• The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by Delaware District Council Member Michael J. LoCurto, granting permission to the Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association to hang lights on Hertel Avenue between Virgil Street and Crestwood Avenue.
• The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by South District Council Member Christopher P. Scanlon, granting permission to the Seneca Street Car Show Association to hang an informational banner across Seneca Street to promote the Seneca Street Car Show. The banner will be installed on June 14, 2013 and stay up until July 19, 2013.
WAIVING OF FEES
• The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by Delaware District Council Member Michael J. LoCurto, waiving the fees associated with holding the “Walk to Defeat ALS” at Delaware Park on August 3, 2013.
• The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by Fillmore District Council Member David A. Franczyk, waiving the street closing and tent permit fees associated with the 5th Annual BBQ and Blues Bash on Mississippi Street in the Cobblestone District on June 21, 2013.
• The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by Niagara District Council Member David A. Rivera, waiving the permit and special event fees associated with end of the year Le
onardo Da Vinci High School staff lunch on June 21, 2013 at Front Park.
• The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by Niagara District Council Member David A. Rivera, waiving the permit and special event fees associated with Leonardo Da Vinci High School senior lunch on June 10, 2013 at Front Park.
• The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by Ellicott District Council Member Darius G. Pridgen, waiving the permit fees associated with Maritime Charter School’s Senior Graduating Class Picnic at Front Park on May 31, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
SALE OF CITY OWNED PROPERTY–The Council approved transactions relating to the following City owned properties:
• Niagara District
o 179 Potomac Avenue was sold to WNY District of the Wesleyan Church for $2,400.
• The Council appointed the following individuals to positions within various Common Council District Offices and the City Clerk’s office:
o Lovejoy District Office
• Legislative Assistant
• Thomas J. Olejniczak
o Masten District Office
• Legislative Aide
• Tianna Marks
o City Clerk’s Office
• Assistant Legislative Aide II
• Damon Palmer
• Roxanne M. Chase
• Denise Johnson
• The Council appointed the following individual to the Buffalo Naval Park Committee, Inc.
o Aniela Baj-Thant
• The Council approved the appointments of the following individuals to positions within various City of Buffalo departments:
o Department of Assessment and Taxation
• Principal Assessor
• Maria Garozzo-Payne
o Department of Management Information Systems (MIS)
• Supervisor Data Processing Operations
• Daryl Springer
• System Support Specialist
• Paul Springer
o Department of Public Works
• Lorenzo Crumpley
For any questions, concerns, or further information regarding the above, please contact your District Council Member, the Common Council Legislative Staff Office, or the respective City Department.
To view the live streaming of Common Council meetings on a personal computing device with internet access, please insert the following address into the device web-browser:
Instant Live Stream Replays are available at:
To view replays of a Common Council Meeting please visit the City of Buffalo Government Television website at www.city-buffalo.com/Home/Government_TV.
Photos from taken from this meeting can be viewed at:
To view the final Common Council Meeting agenda and/or supporting communications, please visit the City of Buffalo website at
BUFFALO COMMON COUNCIL
David A. Franczyk
1315 City Hall
David A. Rivera
President Pro Tempore
1504 City Hall
Richard A. Fontana
1414 City Hall
Michael J. LoCurto
1405 City Hall
Darius G. Pridgen
1408 City Hall
Demone A. Smith
1316-A City Hall
Joseph Golombek, Jr.
1502 City Hall
Christopher P. Scanlon
1401 City Hall
Bonnie E. Russell
1508 City Hall
Common Council Legislative Staff Office
1413 City Hall
James N. Jackson
City of Buffalo Common Council
1413 City Hall
Buffalo, NY 14202