Properties needed for a $13.5 million Swan Street redevelopment project have traded hands. Architect/Developer Jake Schneider purchased the four properties on Friday for a total of $1,906,650 according to Erie County Clerk records. Schneider’s The Apartments at the Hub will bring 10,000 sq.ft. of commercial space and 50 upscale apartments to 145 and 149 Swan Street. The other two properties purchased are parking lots.
145 Swan Street, sold by the Buffalo Transportation Museum for $600,000, was built in 1908 for Witkop & Holmes, a grocery business that commissioned the 30,000 sq.ft. brick and frame structure. 149 Swan Street, sold by Synthetic Textiles Inc., was designed by Lansing & Beirel, Architects and constructed in 1896 for Sibley & Holmwood Candy Company, a local confectioner that later partnered with several other businesses nationwide to form the National Candy Company. The 50,000 sq.ft., five-story building was purchased for $697,500.
Rounding out the development site are parking lots at 159 Swan and 168 Seneca. Both were purchased from James Sandoro for $609,150.
The fifty new upscale, market-rate apartments will be a mix of one and two bedroom units ranging in size from 1,020 to 1,345 sq.ft. Adam Trost and Rebecca Erb, owners of the Bike Shop in East Aurora, are planning on relocating and expanding their business into the complex’s commercial space.
Work is expected to be completed in spring 2014. Historic review and approval services are being provided by Preservation Studios.
Get Connected: Schneider Design, 716.923.7000
Speaking of the Buffalo Transportation Pierce Arrow Museum, here are some bonus pics of the completed expansion at the corner of Michigan and Seneca, cater-corner to the Hub site: