Work is well underway
on Ellicott Development’s 14 North Street project as units are taking shape and preparing to receive finishes shortly. The building originally
was built in 1899 as a Baptist Church and retains a high level of architectural
integrity. It will soon be home to eleven new residential units, ranging from
one to three bedrooms and a commercial space approximately 1000 sq. ft.
Many of the original
architectural details have carefully been retained in place or in some cases
moved elsewhere and put on display. Some of the stained glass had to be removed
to allow a clear pane of glass for pure natural light into the units. The
removed pieces have been incorporated elsewhere into the building (see below).
The units in the
basement have taken shape nicely, featuring high ceilings with original pressed
metal and great hardwood floors. The detailed woodwork of the altar has been
kept in place and now serves as the primary living space for one of the units. In
similar fashion, the space to the right of the altar with scagliola columns and
ionic capitals has also been retained and incorporated into the new unit.
Ellicott Development, 716.654.0060