MEETING SUMMARY for JANUARY 8, 2013
LICENSE AND PERMIT APPROVALS--Upon the recommendation of the Department of Permit & Inspection Services, the Council approved the following license and permit applications:
• Delaware District
o Permit to Re-establish a Restaurant in the Hertel Avenue Special District
• W. Sabio, owner of the property located at 1200 Hertel Avenue.
• Ellicott District
o Application for Restricted Use Permit - Downtown Entertainment Review District
• Lux, located at 75 West Chippewa Street for its "UB Asian Fraternity Party."
• Fillmore District
o Food Store License
• Al Baraka Halal Meat Market, located at 1064 Sycamore Street.
• Lovejoy District
o Permit to Establish a Merchandise/Food Store for Use in the Clinton Special Zoning District
• H. Alshahen, owner of the property located at 1926 Clinton Street.
• Niagara District
o Permit to Re-establish a Restaurant/Bakery in the Niagara River Coastal Special Review District
• E. Sexto, owner of the property located at 544 Niagara Street.
o Lodging House License
• Adrian Jessome d/b/a 340 Elmwood Ave LLC, located at 340 Elmwood Avenue.
CLAIMS, CONTRACTS, CHANGE ORDERS & AGREEMENTS
• Upon the request of the City of Buffalo Department of Public Works ("DPW"), the Council approved the following contract change orders:
o The contract with Foit Albert Associates for the Ellicott Street Phase 1 Project (lead image) was increased by $183,229 for additional work necessary to complete the project. The contract was initially awarded in the amount of $716,090 and with this change the contract will increase to $899,319.
o The contract with New Line Skateparks, Inc. was increased by $9,500 for the professional services required to administer and inspect the construction of the LaSalle Park Skateplaza project. The contract was initially awarded in the amount of $24,600 and with this change the total contract will increase to $34,100.
o The contract with Quackenbush Co., Inc. for the Museum of Science Mechanical Reconstruction Project was increased by $764 to furnish and install four bronze ball cone check valves for the humidifiers. The contract was initially awarded in the amount of $293,000 and with this and prior changes the contract will increase to $302,078.
o The contract with Hatch Mott MacDonald for the Seneca Street Streetscape Project was increased by $15,360 in order to fund additional design, construction management, and inspection services for the project. The contract was initially awarded in the amount of $141,600 and with this change the total contract will increase to $156,960.
o The contract with Malcolm Pirnie, Inc./Arcadis for the South Basin Improvement Project at the Filter Plant was increased by $75,794 for additional work necessary to complete the project. The contract was initially awarded in the amount of $294,500 and with this change the total contract will increase to $370,294.
• Upon the request of the City of Buffalo Department of Public Works, the Council approved the following reports of bids:
o Of the bids that were received for Auto Impound (Dart Street) Emergency Partial Roof Reconstruction Project, Grove Roofing Services was the lowest, with a bid of $66,600.
BANNERS TO BE HUNG IN THE CITY OF BUFFALO
• The Council approved a resolution, sponsored by Delaware District Council Member Michael J. LoCurto, permitting Labatt Blue to hang banners throughout the City of Buffalo celebrating their "Labatt Blue Buffalo Pond Hockey Tournament." The banners will hang from the week of January 14, 2013 through the end of February 2013.
WAIVER OF FEES
• The Council adopted a resolution, sponsored by Majority Leader and Masten District Council Member Demone A. Smith, waiving the park fees associated with the usage of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Park for the 2nd Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony that was held on December 15, 2012.
SALE OF CITY OWNED PROPERTY--The Council approved transactions relating to the following City owned properties:
• Ellicott District
o 146 Maple Street was sold to Mr. Vincent L. Vines for $1,400.
o 95 and 119 Spruce Street were sold to Tatanka Development Company, Inc. or an entity to be designated by Mr. Thomas Burton for $2,900.
• The Council confirmed the appointment of the following individual as the Commissioner of the City of Buffalo Department of Administration, Finance, Policy, and Urban Affairs:
o Donna J. Estrich
• The Council appointed the following individuals to positions within a Common Council District Office and the Office of the City Clerk:
o Niagara District Council Office
• Senior Legislative Assistant to Common Council Member
• Sean M. Mulligan
o Office of the City Clerk
• Intern IX
• Alexander Cornwell
• The Council approved the appointment of the following individual to a position within the City of Buffalo Department of Public Works:
o Account Clerk Typist
• Stella Adams
For any questions, concerns, or further information regarding the above, please contact your District Council Member, the Common Council Legislative Staff Office, or the respective City Department.
To view the live streaming of Common Council meetings on a personal computing device with internet access, please insert the following address into the device web-browser:
Instant Live Stream Replays are available at:
To view replays of a Common Council Meeting please visit the City of Buffalo Government Television website at www.city-buffalo.com/Home/Government_TV.
Photos from taken from this meeting can be viewed at:
To view the final Common Council Meeting agenda and/or supporting communications, please visit the City of Buffalo website at
BUFFALO COMMON COUNCIL
David A. Franczyk
1315 City Hall
David A. Rivera
President Pro Tempore
1504 City Hall
Richard A. Fontana
1414 City Hall
Michael J. LoCurto
1405 City Hall
Darius G. Pridgen
1408 City Hall
Demone A. Smith
1316-A City Hall
Joseph Golombek, Jr.
1502 City Hall
Christopher P. Scanlon
1401 City Hall
Bonnie E. Russell
1508 City Hall
Common Council Legislative Staff Office
1413 City Hall
James N. Jackson
City of Buffalo Common Council
1413 City Hall
Buffalo, NY 14202