Two years ago, the technology news and information blog, Mashable, created International Social Media Day
, which promotes worldwide gatherings for social media professionals and enthusiasts to do some mingling and celebrate the impact of the digital revolution. The event has grown continuously and this year, Buffalo will be one of over 2,000 cities to host one of these networking events.
Social Media Club Buffalo will be hosting their Social Media Day inside the Lobby Bar of Statler City (107 Delaware Ave.) from 4 to 7 p.m. on June 30. For $5 presale or $8 cash at the door, you can meet up with other social media pros and discuss the impact of social media and the many doors it has opened.
"Each year Social Media Day continues to bring enthusiasts and social media marketing professionals from Buffalo into a real-life networking setting," said Nicole Schuman, Social Media Club Buffalo president. "We wish to welcome everyone from novices to experts to take part in the celebration and learn a bit more about the impact of social media in Buffalo."
There will be entertainment, free appetizers, $2.50 well drinks and domestic beer at the bar, and plenty of informational booths from local organizations to peruse. AT&T will be sponsoring a live Twitter stream on the bar's televisions, where event-goers can view their tweets by adding the #smdaybuf hashtag to their tweets. There will also be a chance to get your Twit-pic snapped on the red carpet.
This year will be the first that the event has included the Social Challenge. This contest consists of a list of five tasks involving different social media applications that participants must complete, sign, and bring with them to the Social Challenge table at registration. The full details of the competition can be viewed on the Facebook page
, but here's a list of the main components:
1. Use a trending hashtag in a tweet about #SMDayBuf #socialchallenge (Tip: Trending Hashtags are found to the left of the Twitter page, underneath "trends")
2. Leave a post with how social media has changed your life on the Social Media Club Buffalo Facebook Page. Share the link on twitter using the hashtag #SMDayBuf #socialchallenge
3. Write a review on Yelp for the last locally owned business where you received excellent customer service. Share the link on Twitter and use the hashtag #SMDayBuf #socialchallenge
4. Take a picture of a Western New York landmark on Instagram. Share on Twitter and use the hashtag #SMDayBuf #socialchallenge
5. Check in to Social Media Day Buffalo 2012 on Foursquare or Facebook, using the hashtag #SMDayBuf #socialchallenge. Share on Twitter or tag Social Media Club Buffalo on Facebook.
One winner will be randomly selected to win a grand prize that includes an overnight stay package at the Mansion on Delaware. The package includes a premium grand guestroom, complimentary butler service, valet parking, downtown Range Rover transportation, breakfast, afternoon cocktails and other Buffalo-themed items. The second place winner will be given a blu-ray DVD player, courtesy of West Herr.
Presale tickets to Social Media Day can be purchased online at http://smdaybuf2012.eventbrite.com
. Proceeds from the ticket sales will go to Computers for Children, Inc. For more information on Social Media Day, visit the Facebook page