Ellicott Development is adding two residential units to the upper floors of 522 Main Street, the former Gamler's Jewelers store. Gamler's, which had occupied the building since 1927, relocated to Amherst in 1995 citing declining sales as the reason for the move. The Amherst store lasted just two years. Ellicott Development acquired the three-story building in 2001.
522 Main is located between the former L.L. Berger's Department store, reborn as The Belesario, and the Hyatt. Ellicott completed some façade work several years ago but the property has been largely vacant except for a brief run by menswear store Get Dressed in 2006.
Bill Paladino, Ellicott Development's Chief Executive Officer, confirms that the company is creating two apartments in the building's upper floors and will keep the ground floor as retail space. No exterior changes are planned.
The adjacent L.L. Bergers department store closed in 1991 after 85 years in business. Ellicott Development purchased the building from the City in 1999 after a number of development plans for the building fell through. The Belesario features 30 one and two-level lofts in the buildings upper floors while the bottom two floors contain 26,800 sq.ft. of office space. The Bergers complex is actually two joined buildings that were expanded over time, the earliest dating to 1917.
Get Connected: Ellicott Development, 716.854.0060